[SBE] RCA BTF-20E1

Chris Murray crmurray at clearwire.net
Tue Feb 17 01:26:03 EST 2009

I remember Vintage, It was about 1978 and the transmitter rooms are stored
up with a lot of OLD excellent antique equipment. I also remember loading
pounds of this tube based hardware using tubes like 6V6's, 5U4's and 6CA7's,
Limiters, Modulation Monitors, and Very Large Frequency Meters, even a
photocell that used a 50L6, all ended up in the recycle bucket, after first
salvaging any useful parts. Knobs, VU meters, many various parts came off
before the junk went in. I lamented at the time that it was such a shame
that this equipment made with great quality and used very well for decades
is now being thrown away as it has zero value. It will never be used again
and there is no market for stuff this old.

It seems that time again. Except this time it is equipment we bought at the
beginning of the digital equipment revolution. Any equipment made to run on
a DOS computer has no value. I threw away lots of "session 8" equipment. The
biggest part problem seems to be early digital processing chip sets that
haven't been made for years and there is no substitute.

And now it seems that a lot of transmitters are reaching the fate of; no one
wants it, it has no value, before you recycle, strip off any parts, you
want. Once a rig has had its 30 years of service, you seem to be in a state
of just one OEM part failure to making the entire transmitter a boat anchor.

I hear a lot of; "We no longer stock parts" or "We no longer service those
modules, we can't get the devices". So a non-repairable item just came off
the inventory.

Again I lament

Chris Murray

Director of Engineering