[SBE] T-Mobile

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Mon Mar 2 19:59:11 EST 2009

I will say, in Verizon's defense, having had some of their data and maint. folks in a project management class, that they face ridiculous challenges in IT because of FCC mandates on keeping legacy clusters of outdated switches operating due to rural service rules. in maryland, the cost to maintain certain legacy services in the region along the PA border, where they wanted the bills to remain in PA style but had to conform to MD PUC rules (in other words, whatever is best for the customer!!) was $10 MIL and took THREE years to get right. In Virginia, especially in areas where Centel brought up Contel, they literally are keeping older IT infrastructure running that was never part of C&P/BA and must do so until the last legacy customer gives up. This is part of why VZ has now stated they will simply not offer CS service in 7 years. Billing errors are inevitable in legacy networks. The problem extends to the wireless division. While a separate corporate entity, all of VZ uses the same IT structure. As of March, esp. for business, many of the VZ and VZW products will merge. VZW has also absorbed and is required to maintain legacy cell services and then there is the Vodafone component of the company to be considered. its a mess.

Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT
Comm-Struction and Services LLC
Baltimore/Washington DC
V- 410.879.5567 F- 410.272.5750 C- 240.417.2475

A Harris Broadcast Channel Partner

The opposite of PROgress is CONgress