[SBE] used equipment wanted

Vinny Lopez vinlopez at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 12 16:58:02 EDT 2009

I received this from Jay Ballard at ABC in NY. Posting it on his behalf.

Recently, a group of serious broadcast equipment collectors has
established a museum in Rhode Island with the aim of preserving the
hardware used in our industry. The emphasis is on North American
produced studio equipment, but there is some European and a lot of
Japanese gear in our archive. It is mostly RCA, Ampex, with some
DuMont, but presently no GE. Recently, 503 (1) (c) non-profit status has
been granted by the IRS. The website is www.wmbt.org
<http://www.wmbt.org/>, although the pictures have not yet been
updated. We do not yet have a public occupancy permit, as that requires
ADA compliance, etc, and the principals all have day jobs.

We have been unsuccessful in seeking some key items that we believe
played a key role in television broadcast history. Among them are an
RCA TR-70 2" VTR, RCA TCR-100 videcassette machine,and an Ampex ACR-25
video cassette machine. Also a GE color camera, such as a PE-250, 350,
or 400, with CCU. Norelco PC-70 CCUs are needed. Also any parts for
RCA, Ampex, Conrac, Norelco and GE studio gear. A small
transmitter/exciter (under 1 KW) should be on our radar screen. As we
are located in the Northeast, reasonable proximity to the Museum is
desirable, but for rare items, there would be no restriction on pickup.

My point in writing to you is to ask if you could enlist the assistance
of SBE chapter chairs, via email, to assist in our search, or whatever
other means that you suggest. Again, we are strictly non-profit and our
goal is to establish a repository for the broadcast equipment industry,
especially the domestic segment. One goal is to demonstrate for future
generations that equipment was made in the US, and the industry did not
begin with offshore Asian suppliers in the 80s.

I realize that the last thing during the tumultuous DTV transition that
a Chief needs is a group of collectors pestering them, but it may be the
ideal time, as Tx sites will be cleaned out.

With best wishes,

Jay Ballard