[SBE] Fwd: NAB FM chip proposal

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Tue Mar 31 17:31:22 EDT 2009

Greetings from Washington:

NAB has launched a major initiative to mandate FM radio chips in all
cellphones.

Attached is an Adobe Reader presentation given by NAB at the EAS
Summit yesterday.

They are marketing this idea as an enhancement to EAS. Obviously
there are other benefits that would accrue to FM broadcasters. The EAS
benefits may not be as clear cut as they think at this point.

Obviously NAB is looking for other industry entities to back their
proposal. I recommend talking to NAB about this if the Board thinks
the idea has SBE member benefits. One could say that anything that
gets more radios in the hands of audience is a good thing for SBE
members. I think SBE could make some constructive suggestions to NAB
to make it more likely their proposal would have merit for emergency
public information and EAS.

Here's my take on what they presented. Clay and Gary and Art were
there and can chime in with their takes.

Advantages:
1. Users can tune to an FM station after getting a CMAS warning
(coming to you cellphone no sooner than 2010-2012 by some accounts)
2. FM is added universally to cellphones as an option
3. FM/RDS can display warning messages
4. Value added for cell phone users
5. Cost to add the chip is low - some phones already have them

Disadvantages:
1. AM is left out in the cold
2. No recognition in existing cell FM chipsets for either SAME or CAP.
3. Not as many FM stations have news departments as AM stations and/or
have prepared for severe emergency operations.
4. RDS data rate is only 1187.5 bit per second and has other uses now
at RDS-capable stations.
5. Cellphone displays of RDS date would be restricted so EAS CAP
messages would require a lot of scrolling to read.

FYI, the CTIA representative on the panel, Brian Joseph, Dir. of
Public Affairs for CTIA, was cool to the idea -- possibly icy.

Regards,

Richard