[SBE] How to record a Quicktime video stream?

Dan Mammone dmammone at muskingum.edu
Fri Apr 3 13:34:14 EDT 2009

You didn't detail what you have tried, but there are a couple things you can
try.

Screen capture software (which you mentioned you tried, but didn't specify)
like ACA Screen Recorder
(http://www.acasystems.com/en/screenrecorder/faqs01.htm). They say you can
try it, but it is NOT a supported function of their software.

PC TV Tuner interface. This would be your best option because it is a
hardware interface that includes AV I/O, which you can connect directly to a
VCR or DVD recorder. There are many types to choose from.

QuickTime Pro. I found the following on the QuickTime Player online help:
Saving Movies from the Internet
With QuickTime Pro, you can save (download) a movie viewed in your web
browser to your hard disk. (The movie must be authored to allow for saving.)
If it's a streaming movie, QuickTime Pro saves a small "reference movie"
that points to the stream.

To save an Internet movie on your hard disk:
When the movie finishes loading (when the entire progress bar is filled with
gray), click the down arrow in the playback controls.
Choose "Save as QuickTime Movie."
If this command is not available, the movie is authored so that it cannot be
saved.

Dan Mammone CBRE, CBNT
Broadcast Engineer
WMCO-FM/MCTV6