[SBE] Translator Sources

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Wed Apr 15 16:22:37 EDT 2009

Vic--
I was not able to find such a source during my research for the translator
status report I did for the Nevada Broadcasters Association. I was able to
gather some material from the translator licensees themselves, which in
Nevada at least, are mainly local government entities. The licensees don't
have to keep a Public File but they do have to maintain records showing that
they have permission to re-broadcast an originating or primary station
signal. Although primary or originating stations are not required to keep
copies of those documents in their files, most stations are doing ID's for
their translators and if you contact someone in Master Control they might be
able to get you a copy of that list.

During my research, I found that some of the local government
representatives were very knowledgeable about their translator operations
while others could be described as less than forthcoming. And while most
translators here are repeating signals from primary stations in Reno, Las
Vegas, or Salt Lake City, I have found some that are carrying educational or
religious programming via satellite.

Because of our mountainous terrain, you don't have to go very far away from
the "big cities" here to need a translator if you are an OTA viewer. My
report was done to help these viewers determine if they even needed to
purchase a converter box, and if so, were they going to need an analog
pass-through box or one that just received digital signals. You can find the
report online at www.nevadabroadcasters.org.
Adrienne