[SBE] H1N1 Response

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Sat May 2 16:22:16 EDT 2009

Can't speak for him, but I got the idea from the CDC.

Antibacterial handcleaners will protect you from viruses sort of in the same
way Duct Tape and plastic will protect you from chemical warfare.

From the page at

http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/

we get this:

"It is best to wash your hands with soap and clean running water for 20
seconds. However, if soap and clean water are not available, use an
alcohol-based product to clean your hands."

I take this to mean that "if you can't *really* wash your hands, this is
better than nothing. Sort of".

Also, from http://www.accessexcellence.org/HHQ/qow/qow04/qow041004.php

There was "no significant effect of antibacterial product use on infectious
disease symptoms"

"One explanation for the findings is that the infections that occurred might
have been viral and not bacterial, Larson says. Antibacterial products aren't
supposed to have an effect on viruses. On the other hand, there may be a
popular perception that these products will combat any infection. 'When I buy
an antibacterial product, in my mind, I'm thinking this is going to reduce my
risk of infections,' Larson says. 'Consumers don't think about the fact that
most of the infections healthy people get are cold, flu and diarrhea caused
by viruses.'"

Forgive me, but I'm going to have to go with the CDC on this one.

Jeff