[SBE] nitrogen

Gary O'Guinn garyo at ktuu.com
Wed May 6 20:16:27 EDT 2009

No I believe the question was "has anyone used *liquid nitrogen*..." The
question was answered; it was stated that it would be difficult to
regulate the evaporation rate - the pressure -. We use a low pressure
nitrogen generator at our transmitter site. It was expensive up front,
but it saves us the expense of purchasing and transporting nitrogen
tanks- especially since our transmitter site is 62 road-miles from the
studio. It had a few startup problems. Mainly the supplied high pressure
air compressor was under rated, so it kept failing. It was eventually
replaced with an larger external unit and it has been operating well. We
pressurize three 800 ft transmission lines at about 4 lbs pressure.

Gary O'Guinn
KTUU-TV Anchorage