[SBE] Liquid Nitrogen...

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Wed May 6 20:55:05 EDT 2009

Nitrogen gas is inert and, therefore, an excellent alternative to
so-called "dry air" as a dielectric in transmission lines. The amount of
gas that would enter the transmission line (once pressurized> on a
continuous basis would not be significant enough to cause cooling of the
line. The valve and regulator may exhibit signs of cooling during the
pressurization process but that would soon warm to ambient temp once
that process was complete. In regard to the 'original question'...using
liquified nitrogen at a remote transmitter site is a trade-off. If you
have to replace gas cylinders very often, it could pay off. We have been
using nitrogen in a 200' transmission line for over three years and have
only used one tank.

Darryl