[SBE] A/C 3phase vs single phase

Chris Hoopes hoopeschris at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 09:20:19 EDT 2009

It comes up every now and then that I am called upon to scope out new air conditioning systems. I always figured with both available, that 3 phase was more efficient. Less current is required to start a 3 phase motor. Smaller gauge wires, but more of them. But then the other day I was called down on this. I wondered if advancement in A/C technology had changed the fact. The way 3 phase is measured is a difficult concept, peak demand. What has been your experience? Is 3 phase cheaper to operate and cool with then a 2 phase system? Or is there no difference?