[SBE] A/C 3phase vs single phase

Andy Butler abutler at pbs.org
Thu Jun 11 10:15:49 EDT 2009

If you can start from scratch - set your facility up with 3 phase 480
service - you will save substantial money running your lighting and
other peripherals on 277 volts and your HVAC/Elevator/fire pump/antenna
de-icers/Large Scale UPS systems are a lot less expensive if you can run
them at 480 volts.

You will have to use step-down transformers for wall outlets and rack
power. One trick - if you can afford a full facility UPS system for
Technical Power buy the unit to use 480/ 3 phase in and 208/220 out.

By the way - when you talk to the Utility Company - make sure you get
past the "consumer" screeners and talk directly to the people who handle
industrial accounts. Generally speaking the utility company is more
than happy to supply 480 volt/3 phase or higher - I've had a couple of
plants that used 13 Kv directly from the pole...now that can save some
serious money!