[SBE] A/C 3phase vs single phase

Chris Hoopes hoopeschris at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 10:37:11 EDT 2009

My hypothetical questions assumes both 3 phase and single phase are available. One being 3 phase 440, or 480 with 3 hots, or 220 with 2 hots and a neutral. For years I always believed 3 phase would produce more cooling BTUs for less power bill then a single phase system. Imagine my surprise when my boss tells me that there is no difference!
Thanks for your comments.

---

Chris,

Some of the smaller, inverter-type air conditioners are quite efficient, but they are limited in cooling capacity.  Three-phase motors are smaller and simpler in design than equivalent single-phase motors and present a more balanced load to the source.  For a relatively small cooling load, an inverter-type unit may be the way to go, but for large cooling loads where a lot of shaft power is needed three-phase machines may be the only reasonable choice.

Note that while there is two-phase power, it is hardly ever used these days.  Commonly found today are three-phase loads and single-phase loads.  Generally, a load connected to two line (hot) wires in a domestic or commercial system (whether or not a neutral wire is used) is single phase load and not a two-phase load.  Three-phase loads have three hot wires and, in the case of a Y-connected load, three hot wires and a neutral.

Regards,

Bob Denny