[SBE] Analog isn't totally gone

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Sat Jun 13 12:11:46 EDT 2009

There is little doubt that yesterday was a significant milestone in the
history of American television, but what many seem to forget is that
only 20% of all licensed television transmitters had to drop analog and
remain on the air strictly digital.

As of February 27, 2009 (from an FCC press release) these are totals for
broadcast television stations licensed as of December 31, 2008:
UHF COMMERCIAL TV 796
VHF COMMERCIAL TV 582
1,378

UHF EDUCATIONAL TV 252
VHF EDUCATIONAL TV 129
381

TOTAL 1,759

Only the 1,759 Full Power TV Stations had to comply. But there is a
total of ~8,600 television transmitters in the US of these, 6,862
stations that did not have to comply.

The guys I have compassion for are those who had to go out and make sure
their translators, LPTV that serve as translators and other types of
service being fed by the full power are working properly.

Here's some interesting numbers from the same FCC press release:

TOTAL CLASS A STATIONS 550
TOTAL TRANSLATORS 4040
TOTAL LOW POWER TV 2272
TOTAL all the above 6862

So my friends and associates, analog is not completely gone.

--
*Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC*
1980 25th St.