[SBE] analog shut-off day

Gibson Prichard gibson at prichard.tv
Sun Jun 14 11:46:16 EDT 2009

WTVF Nashville moved from UHF56 digital to VHF5 12am on 6/12 and has been
deluged with viewer calls. Things like poor indoor antennas, no knowledge of
re-scanning, boxes that hold our pre-transition channel position (and won't
update it to the post-transition freq.) are only the tip of the iceberg. We
figured a move to low-band 5 would be beneficial to the distant viewers who
couldn't pull in 56 due to propogation issues. We had no idea the near-field
would be as big of a deal where we have loads of signal and are even
circularly-polarized.
We've probably had in excess of 2000 calls and not seeing any real solution
to what largely seems to be problems relegated to viewers less than 40 miles
from our tower.

Gibson