[SBE] -ways to pay-

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Jul 1 17:21:49 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 04:59 pm, Richard Hardy wrote:

> Paypal does require a minimum of 8 characters in a password.

Because Windows itself, through NT4 at least, had a 14 character
password limit, I've routinely used 15 or more.
( by default unix can use 255 characters, except SuSE and other
Debian derivatives who are limited to something like 8 )
Those that read my article in Radio Guide a while back know that
a *good* password will have at least a dozen characters, be very
difficult to guess, or to brute force, and be very easy to remember.
The banks are probably the worst for forcing bad passwords.
They REALLY need to read my article !!

Almost every site will *give* you a randomly generated string as
the initial password.
What you do, always, is to copy and paste that as your first log-in, and
IMMEDIATELY change it to a *good* password. End of problem.

As I wrote in my article, imagine my glee when I discovered that many
unix will accept the backspace character as a legitimate password
character. Windows to this day, any version, can't even *send* the
backspace, so my passwords are safe from 100% of windows users !
( even now that I've told you at least one of the characters in my passwords )

Yes, I too have about three pass-phrases that I use for almost everything.
( changing them today anyway. )
BUT, as test, I've posted the IP's and such on hackers sites, and even
offered a reward to anyone who could crack them. It's been 13 years and
no one has stepped forward to claim the reward, including my brother, who
has been given the root password multiple times and STILL can't get in.

PayPal is pretty good. They seldom have problems.
The ONLY problem with PayPal is that if you do have a problem, or think you
have a problem, is that the very first thing PayPal does is to blame YOU, and
disavow any responsibility. The second thing is to object to the fact that
you had the where-with-all to contact them by any means other than their FAQ,
which doesn't allow contacting them anyway.

I still say adding PayPal as an option is a good thing, and I vote Aye !!

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

A young husband with an inferiority complex insisted he was just a
little pebble on the beach. The marriage counselor told him, "If you wish to
save your marriage, you'd better be a little boulder."