[SBE] Phasor current draw

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Jul 14 08:15:07 EDT 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 04:06 pm, Edwin Bukont wrote:

> I am trying to create a DA/NDA remote control for a 3-tower phasor system.

> The system has remote for choosing transmitters and Day or Nite. It does

> not have remote for choosing DA/NDA.

> Currently, someone has brought out the Tx and D/N to 240VAC relays with 30A

> contacts. Is this really necessary?

If you're talking about the RF switch contacts, during switching it should
be zero ! ( it does mute the TX during the switch, right ?? )
I use 5 times the calculated RF current when buying contactors.

The solenoids that actually throw the contactor arms, the inrush
current is theoretically infinite, but in practical terms I use 8 amps
at 240 as a rule of thumb. ( 16 amps at 120 volts )
The measured current is around 2 amps, ( at 240 ) but that's what a meter
will show. A scope will show considerably higher.
It's a question of how much reliability/voltage drop/safety margin do you want ?
Once "settled" the solenoids will be around 1 amp, more than enough to
burn them up in relatively short order.

The control relays, 24 volt coils are typical.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Just to remind everyone. Today, Sept 17, is Linux's 5th birthday. So
happy birthday to all on the list. Thanks go out to Linus and all the
other hard-working maintainers for 5 wonderful fast paced years!
-- William E. Roadcap <roadcapw at cfw.com>