[SBE] toxic chemical reminiscences

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Thu Aug 20 14:21:24 EDT 2009

WFAW had a 50 kW Westinghouse FM rig with mercury vapor rectifiers. In
school we played with mercury as part of science class. nbd. it was fun till it
oxidized and became semisolid. The dentists often let us have a tiny bit to
play with at home when they made amalgam fillings. Never heard of anyone
dying from mercury cavity fillings. Millions still have them today. Kreosote
was another favorite to prevent wood rot and bugs. DDT was great too, debug a
corn field TX site for months at a time. Keep the spiders out of the HV
condensors. yeah we used that word vs capacitors. another goodie, transcriptions
not records, 16" with RCA turntables that would start in both directions,
you never knew unless you gave it a shove first. Gray tonearms with a quarter
taped over the GE II pickup to track the warps. Hour long LP's, with the
spiral so shallow you'd get over cuts between adjacent grooves, have a good
anecdote on that. Sparta equipment, Shure wire recorders, Brush electric
audio tape machines, 15, 19 and reperf TTY, Visual transmitters, NEC core
memory frame syncs. Ampex 600's, IVC cameras and tape. RETMA color code.
Richmond Hill, BC1A, BC5, BC7, ADR-150-5.

Henry