[SBE] FCC R & R 73.318: FM Blanketing Interference

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Sun Sep 20 14:25:13 EDT 2009

As was noted, the good neighbor approach is often the better course of action than strict adherance to the rule.

Mike Langer noted installing ferrites in equipment. Like many solutions, this involves time and testing for success. Would it be cheaper and quicker to purchase for the neighbor another set of PC speakers or a new telephone to eliminate the problem? Possibly.

As part of this discussion I would like to hear about specific products that have shown to be immune or resistant to RF blanketing.

>From Dennis Sloatman <dsloatman at sloatmanassociates.com>

I am now, for the first time in a nearly forty-year career, dealing with FM RFI complaints from a new FM station facility (15kW ERP/ 400’ HAAT).

These complaints include demodulated audio in PC speakers, garage door openers that no longer work, as well as the customary “I can no longer pick up a station I used to hear that’s 95 miles away,” etc. My experiences in this area have all been with AM stations as the facilities over the years I’ve had with FM have been operating from towers in wide-open farmland or in the swamps of Florida (I always seemed to be the C.E. for an AM with its site located in densely-populated residential areas). AM RFI in some respects, is easier to resolve inasmuch as good grounding can resolve most complaints.

I’d like to hear of the experiences/solutions from all of you on this board. I believe sharing these would be of benefit to all of us.