[SBE] Is it worth me pursuing my amateur extra license?

Jonathan Solomon jonstv at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 08:26:36 EDT 2009

Russ-

I've been reading with interest the replied to your inquiry. As
usual, Edwin and Cowboy are on point.

In our facility, we're really using a lot of IT. One of the benefits
is to leverage the the functionality of the OSs to automate processes
(like file transcodes and moving) to improve efficiency. That's one
of hundreds of examples.

Read the manuals, read the white papers. Talk to people. As you can
see, everyone on this list is more than willing to share their
knowledge. When you find a piece of gear or software you are
unfamiliar with, try getting a hold of the regional sales person for
it; I'm sure they'd be happy to come by and give you a demo, or at
least a power point presentation if the equipment is large. :) Heck,
you might even get a free lunch out of it! When they're done, be sure
to get the support reps contact information and ask, ask ask. After
more than 15 years in the business, I've hardly ever seen anyone who
is afraid to share information.

As for the license, I'd say go for it. I'm a General as well, and my
recollection is that the Extra is a lot of antenna and power theory.
Depending on what route you take, that certainly won't hurt. But more
important, it will broaden your contact possibilities, and, if nothing
else, keep you busy when you are bed ridden :) I'd say a large
majority of people on this list, and in Broadcast Engineering in, uh, /
general/ are hams.

'73
Jonathan
W3EIC