[SBE] Is it worth me pursuing my amateur extra license?

PuebloTallTower at aol.com PuebloTallTower at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 13:56:20 EDT 2009

I achieved the extra (felt it was worth it) so I would not have to remember
where the band mode edges were.

Now; if i have a senior moment, and operate or run in the phone area with
CW, they will not shoot me. if i run ssb in the am area, i will probably
survive as well. am phone in the CW area is a no no, but again, i might
survive ... once when i was a 10 yr. old novice (back in the early 50's) i ended
up QSO'ing with a guy in the non-novice area ... the OM W0WUR chewed on me a
little, and mom W0GQO let it pass. However I kept looking for the FCC's
notice of violation to arrive, (and big brother never sent one) so I ceased to
worry about it a few weeks later, but the OM told me to study and get the
extra so i would not have to worry where I worked CW at. seemed like good
advice at the time. that damn 20 wpm was hard back then. took me some time
to get up to it. I like to am rag chew, and it is getting hard to do with
all the ssb contests and such. CW contests are OK, I hope to get on some of
the newer computer based modes, before I shell out.

I still need to reference a band plan once in a while, as I like not to
stomp on anyone.

Harvey E. Smith
2020 Baculite Mesa Road
Pueblo, CO., 81001-2456