[SBE] Is it worth me pursuing my amateur extra license?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri Sep 25 15:09:37 EDT 2009

If I wasn't active on ham radio, I would never have been on a WARC 80
committee (75-80) where I met a lot of FCC and big name hams that led to other
stuff. I testified before the Commission enbanc several times and when a bunch
of us were there to repeal the ham Repeater regs, Motorola was there
demo-ing the first cell phone to a fixed site across the street, so Wiley was
curious when we handed him an HT 220 and phone patch him to CA from the chamber,
was there when the first SS STA was issued, and lots of other stuff.
(pictures of us on 73 mag cover back then). One of my work mates at KTLA built the
first 2 mtr repeater using AM modulation, before we all got into twin V, G
strip and Sensicon radios to run our car battery dead. 1974 was the first
ATV repeater in DC and they ran a film by the FCC on air. about tracking down
radio spies in WWII.
When I did my 13 & 20 WPM test The QSO call sign at the opening was one of
the FCC officials call, that made it easy to get the rest of the 5 min
message. So a lot of synergy between bcst and ham radio.

Henry