[SBE] Betacam tape types

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Tue Sep 29 08:10:12 EDT 2009

Brian and Frank,

There is a more in depth technical description of the shell slots/
openings and what they do in the manuals for the decks and also from
your friendly Sony Media sales organization. This site does not allow
for attachments. You can contact me off list if you want specifics.
There are actually three slots and two record tabs in the lineup of
Betacam recording tape history. There is no further development of
this product.

Frank, you are right about this- it is not advisable to use the oxide
tapes to record onto.

However, there is a groups of decks that can record on EITHER SP
Betacam© or Betacam© tape and that knows the difference between the
two, without fooling your deck via defacing the shell or any other
wrong workarounds.

The BVW series (BVW-70, 75) has the electronics and heads to match up
with (and can record onto) either of those types of tape, as can the
portable BVW series- models BVW-25, 35- and one piece camera series-
Models BVW-300, 400, 600. Those recorders were designed to be fully
backward compatible for either type of tape. Later series of decks
were less expensive- the PVW and UVW series.

By the way, the PVW-2600 is a player only and not a recorder, and so
it won't record on anything. Do you mean the PVW-2800 model?

We still service that entire line of equipment here. But it is rapidly
becoming obsolete. That equipment (to record on oxide tape and the
oxide brands of tape itself) is no longer in manufacture.

Models of SP tapes in the Sony line that you want is BCT-XXMLA (where
the XX is replaced by the length, L for large size shell, A being the
latest formulation). Those tapes are still in production.

Hope that fully answers your questions.

Regards,

Henry S.