[SBE] Nix discussion, was -- Re: Career advice needed

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Sep 29 11:21:03 EDT 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 09:48 pm, David R. Wilson wrote:

> For those that

> are well versed in different Unix varieties, there might be some

> preferences for the BSD or Sys5 layout. I never really cared which one

> was in what flavor of Linux.

For me, I do !
Although, any particular distro doesn't matter much.
All of the BSD derivitives are very similar to each other, and
all of the SysV derivitives are very similar to each other, with
few exceptions.
All I really care is that it's either SysV or BSD.

Anything PLESK-ized though, is a convoluted problem.

> The thing that I found more relevant is this:

> [root at buzzfire ~]# uptime

> 20:39:57 up 462 days, 13:25, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.09

Typical.

> One of the bigger problems with Linux for me is that you forget what you

> did years ago for a particular bit of code or task. Taking notes are

> worthwhile.

It's also worthwhile to reboot when making any system changes, just
to prove that when a WinXXX "administrator" practices his first line
of defense, that it will !!
I've seen *nix where I needed to reboot for some reason, like physically
moving the machine, and discovered that although it had been up and
reliable for more than two years, it wouldn't, because of some small
script error made in the forgotten past. ( it was a SCO-Unix box )

One of the things forgotten, and sadly promoted by WinXXX is that
a reboot is often a REAL bad idea.
If a *nix box is alive, even if you suspect some corruption that *might* be
cleared by a reboot, that reboot is often fatal.
If it's alive, DO NOT REBOOT !! If it's alive, it can be fixed without rebooting, and
very likely without any interruption to what it's still doing right. ESPECIALLY if
one suspects a hardware failure !

The ONLY time a Linux box *needs* rebooted, is a power failure, hardware
replacement, or to replace the currently running kernel.
On QNX, a reboot is unnecessary even then.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

It is better to have loved and lost than just to have lost.