[SBE] Betacam tape types

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Wed Sep 30 05:14:28 EDT 2009

Brian,

You will likely need a service manual to proceed further. The PVW line
is NOT similar to the older BVW line, nor the succeeding UVW, due to a
different type of mechanical assembly entirely than the BVW75, and a
(completely) modernized different set of electronics with on-board
capabilities not found on the UVW (editing controls, slo-mo on the
2650 model).

What is the course you are teaching? I do have some new mechanical
parts that you might be interested in... Contact me off list.

History.
The PVW is unique in design, supposedly meant to replace the older BVW
line while at the same time being cheaper. It proved somewhat worse
due to a number of longevity issues, but very reliable when running,
and well maintained.

It was different again from the UVW line (though the two came out
nearly at the same time, the lines were intended to answer varied
market demands). The commonality between the lines- head design, tape
they handled (SP only). But the PVW has lower diagnostic capabilities
than UVW's, as it was meant more for the 'Pro' market, while UVW was
'Pro-sumer' or industrial. The BVW series, being the top end
'Broadcast' series, was still popular at that time and was still in
production when the lines were introduced. A number of innovations
that led directly to the DVW line started in the PVW, however.

Over time the UVW was proven the longer life product, as compared with
PVW, and the more popular series, despite it's lack of features. Why?
Cost, simpler mechanics, marketplace demands, features, and the
explosion of desktop editing, for which it was targeted, IMO.

Repair.
PVW2800 error 04=Reel Trouble, error4 which keys to their
troubleshooting guide in Sect. 2 of the Service Manual, Volume 1.

With PVW equipment, troubleshooting this or any error, means getting
to know the machine pretty well. Once you get there, you may want to
look for any of the following (likely in the following order):
• Ribbon cable to the reel motor assemblies.
• Reel Table Motor.
• Reel Table assembly issues .
• Reel Motor assembly mechanical position (if physically out of
position) or sensors.
• S, T Tension Regulator Arm bearings.
• Other mechanical issues.
• SS48 board issues.

The good news with the number of machines you have, it seems likely
that you have parts to swap (unless they are all in bad shape?) to
prove which mechanical assemblies are bad. From there your repair
steps should be straightforward.

These are general notes. YMMV.

Good luck with the number of machines you've got.

Henry

--

Techworks Professional Systems, Inc. Henry M. Seiden, Founder
henry<at>techworkspro<dot>com