[SBE] Fwd: [sbe-eas] EAS in American Samoa

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Tue Oct 6 09:59:45 EDT 2009

As some of us have said before, EAS works best when broadcasters and
local emergency management have a clear understanding of their
respective roles and work together.
Goverment's Job One in emergency public information is to issue timely
and meaningful warnings for events that than put the public at risk.
Broadcasting's role is to disseminate said warnings.

As we are learning more about what happened in American Samoa, it is
become more clear that one alert broadcaster did the right thing --
above and beyond what their emergency warning called for. Commendable,
but only goes to point out the source of many warning failures -- the
legally mandated origination point.

As you read what I have forwarded, there is also evidence that pleas
by that broadcaster to local government to better prepare fell on
apparently deaf ears.

So, we have here:

!. An example of a worst case disconnect between emergency management
and the broadcast community for EAS.
2. The best recent illustration I can think of for the lack of
understanding of the lifesaving role warnings can play during an
emergency by government.

CAP can do a lot, but the discipline of emergency management must be
revised to start with warnings, not response.

Richard Rudman
Vice-Chair, CA SECC

Begin forwarded message: