[SBE] Working the kinks out of EAS

Dan Mammone dmammone at muskingum.edu
Thu Oct 8 16:03:25 EDT 2009

Russ,

I have yet to hear a National test since I started in the broadcast industry
back in 2001. Even though "Periodic Tests" are specified in Part 11, I'm
sure that annual or decades are NOT what they had in mind. The EAS Handbook
(2007) from the FCC covers EAS Tests from National and State/Local areas.
[FCC CFR 47 http://wireless.fcc.gov/index.htm?job=rules_and_regulations -
good place to read all the FCC Rules]

I'm not sure why such tests are not done... maybe they thought that it would
cause a national panic. But, I agree with your concern. Maybe they are
assuming the Statewide tests are good enough, but the spec remains in Part
11 about National Tests. The other side of the coin is, maybe they are
assuming that radio stations will air their affiliated news networks feeds
as needed anyway (press conferences, addresses, etc). If that's the case,
then the FCC Rules need to change to reflect that.

Not to rehash a controversy about this event, but if 9/11 wasn't important
enough for a national announcement, what is? Only the President knows...

Dan Mammone CBRE, CBNT
Broadcast Engineer
WMCO-FM/Orbit TV6
Muskingum University