[SBE] Conalrad, EBS, EAS, CAP... "Whatever"

russ at russvanderhorst.info russ at russvanderhorst.info
Sat Oct 10 15:32:10 EDT 2009

Hi All,

This has been a long thread with a lot of interesting discussion. I think that it comes down to
two matters. does the gun work, and do the people with their finger on the trigger know when
to pull it.

As engineers, we can design the gun...but also, as engineers, we want to be certain that the
gun works. This is my reasoning for a national end to end test to find out if the site on the
gun is lined up correctly, and that the gun fires and hits the targets it is supposed to hit.

As far as pulling the actual trigger, we as engineers have no control over this...we may build
the gun, and we can push to allow a full scale mock test of the gun to see if it works and to
get any kinks out of it...but it is up to the people who have their finger on the trigger to
actually fire the gun. Debating whether or not the gun should have been pulled is now an
academic matter. The event is long past, and all we can do is learn from it. Do we need a
better gun? I don't know as from what I can gather the gun we currently used hasn't been
used long range (an end to end test)...do we need people ready to put their finger on the
trigger 24/7/365...absolutely!

Russ, CBT

On 10 Oct 2009 at 10:56, Carl Sundberg wrote:

> I have been following the thread and reading everything that is being said here

> and I can't believe what I am reading. I now know why any form of Alert system

> will never really work as a national alert system. Since the 50's, we have

> changed the system three times and we are now moving to a 4th. With some

> exceptions here and there, the alert systems always worked with extreme

> reliability. From Conalrad to the present EAS, our engineering track record is real

> clear. For the most part... the system always worked, no matter what the design

> was. Every major problem that I can recall came from the people at the other

> end. The gun has always worked pretty darn good. The problem has most

> always been the person who had their finger on the trigger.

> The challenge isn't the gadget or the delivery system. The challenge is

> Administration and it always has been. Look, no one is going to call the President

> and announce an attack. Yes.. weather and geophysical events, kidnapped kids,

> local disasters and the like are easy to figure out and its always a damn good

> idea to alert people about them, no matter how much we over do it. The big "but"

> is this: The whole system began as an alert system to warn us of the "BIG"

> attack.

> We got lucky the day the WTC and the Pentagon was attacked in one respect. It

> was a seemingly limited terrorist attack. Because some genius decided to ground

> all planes right away, we'll never know just how widespread the plan really was.

> Again, it was even more luck one plane was forced to crash in a field and it didn't

> hit a city. If nothing else, people in its path should have been warned by EAS

> when fighters were scrambled to go after it.

> There is one thing that is certain. Our Pentagon was hit and our leaders were

> taken to secure locations. Duh! Just what needs to happen before someone pulls

> the trigger on the alert system. Since we got lucky, it is NOT OK to say "NO

> FOUL". Every American citizen was at some risk and no one viewing an

> automated TV channel or automated radio station had a clue of just what the risk

> was. Not everyone gets hit by a Tornado, but we warn all in the area anyway.

> Just because no extra people were killed by one of these flying bombs, they were

> nevertheless bombs of impending doom and at some point our government knew

> it and no EAS warning went out. I say "FOUL!"

> Based on what I have read in this thread I feel as though some are saying... "We

> don't need no stinking national alert system... We have CNN"...

> We need to get our leaders to wake up. We engineers can make anything work...

> The problem has never been the gun... Like always, the problem is and has

> always been with the person who had their finger on the trigger. I'll bet we have

> never, ever had a full time person at the button of Conalrad or EBS, and we all

> know all someone was asleep at the EAS switch when we WERE under attack.

> [...]

my webpage
http://russvanderhorst.info