[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Sun Oct 11 10:58:10 EDT 2009

Russ:

There is an excellent school in Napa California. Its program has been
running for over 35 years and they have graduated more Chief Engineers
than any other school in the country. It is NOT a production school. You
do get your hands dirty as they teach you how to trouble shoot down to
the component level. The cost per year to go there including books is
around $3,000. It is a two year school. I highly recommend that you
check it out. There are other schools, but none that have the fine
reputation that they have. Nearly every student has a job in the
industry before they graduate. Here's the contact info: Steve Goze,
program director, Napa Valley College, 2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway, Napa,
CA 94558. (707) 253-3258. They have a SMPTE Club sponsored by the San
Francisco SMPTE Section and I'm doing my best to get them to start an
SBE club there as well. There is a lot of interest.

Larry

russ at russvanderhorst.info wrote:

> Hi All,

> I have been reading this mailing list, and have learned a lot from it...however I still find

> myself in need of mentoring. I have all kinds of books to read, I know a LOT of mathematics

> so I can understand the theory of what goes on behind the workings of the equipment.

> However being a former teacher, I know the only real way to learn is to "get your hands

> dirty". I could read every book there is about how to swim, but it means very little until I get

> into the pool. I am not looking for financial compensation, but for someone to "show me the

> ropes", how things are really done, what it is like to really be a broadcast engineer. Is there

> anyone in the NH/MA area that would be willing to allow me to shadow them for a couple or

> few days just so I can get a taste of what really goes on. I am approximately an hour from

> Boston, and am willing to travel about an hour in any direction. My preference is for

> television, however radio would do just as well.

> Thanks in advance,

> Russ

> my webpage

> http://russvanderhorst.info