[SBE] Great news

Dan Rapak DanRapak at verizon.net
Wed Dec 16 13:31:12 EST 2009

Gentleman,

Excellent work! This is a tremendous step forward and I will contact my
legislators to urge them to support the measure.

However, I must agree with John's posting The language as stated requires
the electrical engineer to have a degree, but it does not require the
"computer scientist" to hold a degree. Nowadays a kid who writes software
for video games can be classified as a computer scientist. Personally, I'd
rather see the "... or computer scientist." phrase deleted entirely.

Even if someone does hold a degree in computer science, that knowledge is of
only limited benefit in an organization like the FCC. This new technical
position will, or at least should, require the technical person to advise on
a wide range of engineering issues, both digital and analog. It will require
the person to be at least somewhat knowledgeable in computer systems and
networking to be sure, but they will also have to understand audio, video,
microwave, radio propagation, telephone, cable television, fiber optics,
satellite communications and many, many other disciplines.

I am NOT suggesting that this person need be an expert in all of these
areas. Rather, they will need to be someone like a broadcast engineer, with
at least a passing knowledge of each type of system. I submit that someone
with a general Electrical Engineering degree would be FAR better able to
understand these systems than a non-degreed individual with only a computer
background.

Just as importantly, I believe the individual with a general Electrical
Engineering degree would be far better equipped to explain these technical
matters to non-engineering people. The ability to express complex technical
issues in layman's terms will be - or at least should be - a key component
of this person's job.

Again, congratulations to those who have labored to produce this bill. I
will certainly support this measure as it stands. Nevertheless, if there are
any changes made as it progresses through the legislative process, deleting
the reference to "computer scientist" would be my only suggestion.

Regards,
Dan Rapak - CPBE, CBNT, 8VSB