[SBE] Alaska EAS test with EAN

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Wed Jan 6 23:26:31 EST 2010

I received a call early this afternoon from the reporter at NPR in
Alaska who was working the story. I was consulted as a subject expert
on an EAS story NPR did a while ago, and evidently my contact info was
captured in someone's Rolodox or electronic address book.

The reporter was looking for clarification on what a live code test
is. She initially had the impression it was a test message read "live."

I told her that "live" meant a real code, as opposed to a test code.

I heard her report air in late afternoon and she did a credible job
explaining what the test was about.

In hindsight, I should have compared the term "live" in the context of
EAS to the use of the term as it would apply to hand grenade
technology....

:-)

Richard