[SBE] High Intensity Tower Light (1000ft tower) Maintenance budget

Rolin Lintag rolin.lintag at vtntv.com
Fri Feb 19 15:06:46 EST 2010

Tower light systems can sometimes eat up the maintenance budget. With so many factors that can influence when the next tower light failure will occur, it is a challenge as to how much to budget for a high intensity system on a 1000-ft tower, for example. A maintenance contract may be appealing but it definitely becomes an annual fixed expense, as in insurance.

I'm just curious to hear from the group as to how much annual budget in $$$$ can be considered typical or justifiable for a high intensity tower light (strobe) system. I know that the short and quick answer is "It depends" but you know what the GM will say to that kind of an answer. There are no statistical data available from the field that I've seen so far, specially for relatively new systems.

I just want to hear how your department has come up with a figure for budgeting purposes and has it worked so far?

Is there some sort of a field tested estimate, say so much $$$ per annum for every flash head in service?

Aside from arbitrarily picking a number out of the blue, is there a more engineering way to come up with a figure? :-)