[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Dan Rapak DanRapak at verizon.net
Mon Mar 15 13:30:00 EDT 2010

First of all, in having this discussion, I think we need to differentiate
between radio and television. Maintaining radio is crucial in that the
dissemination of information in times of emergencies cannot be left to the
wired infrastructure. I was working the mobile unit covering the World
Series at Candlestick Park when the earthquake hit. Cell phones were useless
and land line phones were severely overloaded. I was in New York on 9/11. It
wasn't possible to place a call on most cell phone systems. I had Verizon
cell service. It worked but it took awhile to get through as it too was
severely overloaded. Ditto the northeast blackout. In times of emergency,
relying on the public landline network (including wireless Internet which
connects to it) just won't do.

That's radio. When it comes to television no one on this list is going to
want to hear what follows. With respect, I think we may be missing the
point. The core issue is not so much what the FCC or the government will or
will not do. The issue is the marketplace.

Internet speeds keep getting faster and faster. Codecs keep getting better
and better. Services like Hulu may not be full HD-1080P yet, but they don't
look bad at all and they're getting better all the time. They're certainly
better than the way YouTube looked when it was becoming a market force (sold
in '06 for $1,650,000,000) and they look MUCH better than the Skype video
that many broadcasters have begun using for remote pickups.

I know that everyone says people won't want to watch programming on their
computers. Perhaps so, but you know what? They won't have to. Television
sets are already beginning to sport RJ-45 connectors. TiVo boxes have had
them for some time. The day is rapidly approaching when you will turn on
your TV set and call up a programming menu very similar to what you get on a
digital cable box or a satellite receiver. The difference is, you won't look
at a listing by time-of-day that tells you when you can watch. You'll look
at a listing by PROGRAM. You'll pick the show you want to watch. Then you'll
pick the exact episode you want to watch and you'll watch it precisely WHEN
you want to watch it. That is what consumers will expect. That is what they
will become used to. Unfortunately, there's simply no way a television
broadcaster can compete with that.

That, my friends, is the way the free marketplace works. Why do you think GE
is getting rid of NBC? Why do you think there is noise about Disney
divesting itself of ABC? The days of the big stick on the mountaintop are
drawing to a close. The handwriting isn't on the wall, its on your computer
screen. Get used to it and plan your careers accordingly.

Respectfully,
Dan Rapak - CPBE, 8VSB, CBNT
ABC Television Network - Retired