[SBE] Going forward

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Wed Mar 17 16:17:06 EDT 2010

At 12:09 PM 3/17/2010, a9xw at cs.com wrote:

>The next gen EAS will not require broadcasters, the Govt thinks iinternet, cell and hybrid devices will suffice.

Interesting that you should say that.

I read the following just this week and mentioned
it on another list. No one responded.

This quote relates to the Chilean earthquake and
the official reaction:

"Officials admit that they made mistakes. The most serious was the national emergency office’s early assurance that there was no risk of a tsunami (it misplaced the quake’s epicentre as being on land). The government’s slow response and failure to maintain order were partly caused by its reliance not on old-fashioned radios, but on the internet and mobile telephones­both of which were knocked out by a power failure. For the first seven hours the government thus had no information about conditions south of Santiago."