[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Christensen, Dave DaveChristensen at clearchannel.com
Fri Mar 19 12:16:48 EDT 2010

Yeah .foo

________________________________

From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On Behalf Of Kent
Winrich
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 7:20 AM
To: sbe member discussion mail list
Subject: Re: [SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Please dont sit down and shut up Cowboy! You make too much sense. And
your experience is something that is greatly needed. Dont let the
naysayers shut you up!

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net> wrote:

Kinda my point as well, however some of the comments made seem
to fit right in to that model.

IMHO, the future of broadcasting is on-line, strictly pay TV,
or some
variant thereof.

For *ME* it doesn't much matter.
Since I'm a project engineer, building studios, stacking steel,
tuning DA's,
hanging bat-wings, and the like, *I* will still have the same
work I've
always had ! ( OK, maybe AM DA's will go away )

There will still be "radio" studios. There will still be
"evening news" sets.
There will still be GMA studios, but none of these will be
feeding
terrestrial transmitters.

There will still be terrestrial transmitters, but it won't be
broadcast
studios feeding them.

As a project engineer, all of the things I've been doing for
the
past 30+ years will still need doing.
Today's "broadcast engineer" be he/she radio or TV, I'm
not so sure ! Methinks that's most of YOU !

Sure, there's been a distinct lack of project work the last two
or
three years, except for the 2 gig Sprint thing, and HD TV, both
of which are aimed at dismantling conventional broadcast and
taking away spectrum, but that'll change.
Someone will have to build the private industry "broadband"
into
the former broadcast spectrum, so I *will* have work.

OK, off-topic. I'll shut up and sit down now.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

The SBE Roundtable, SBE at sbe.org
To unsubscribe, go to
http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/options/sbe