[SBE] EAS: The user experience

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Tue Mar 30 13:27:14 EDT 2010

I keep coming back in my mind to several realities we have been
talking about recently. One has to do with the failure of warnings to
be issued by those responsible, and the other has to do with something
Art Botterell keeps reminding us of -- i.e., what those at risk
"experience" when a warning message is issued. If more and better
training is put in place for those who actually have to issue
warnings, the percentage of warnings that should go out but do not
might increase. Worth a try?

I have pasted in a link (reduced courtesy of TINYURL) to a good short
article in the online Disaster Recovery Journal that states the
obvious -- why it is important to not only issue warnings. It also
goes into how to make sure warnings properly motivate those at risk to
take timely protective action.

The lessons for those of you who do not click:

1. The first nine seconds of an aural message stand the best chance of
making a significant impact
2. Think of a warning as a headline -- the headline has to "grab" you

We all hope more LECC's and SECC's come into closer contact with local
emergency management as the CAP-EAS drama plays out. As this hope-for
result takes place, there may be an opportunity for us to help teach
these lessons.

http://tinyurl.com/yky69oa

Richard