[SBE] FM logging

Bob Reite br at telcen.com
Tue Aug 31 12:53:01 EDT 2010

This is a "catch 22" if I ever saw one. At a PAB engineering conference
I talked to the FCC rep from the enforcement bureau about this and his
take was that when the chief operator signs off on the log every week he
is certifying that the station is operating in accordance with FCC rules
and the terms of the station authorization. So in that case it would
seem that once a week readings at a minimum would be required. However
73.1400 (b) allows for unattended operation, this reads in part,
"equipment is employed which is expected to operate within assigned
tolerances for extended periods of time".

When I become chief operator for a new client, I take readings at the
same time I review the EAS logs. If after a few months the transmission
system proves it stays within 90% to 105% of licensed power I may take
readings less often.

For a complete discussion of unattended of operation "straight from the
horses mouth" visit http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/noonehome.html