[SBE] ARCO Commercial Trips EAS Units

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT barryt at barryt.org
Sat Sep 11 17:22:48 EDT 2010

After posting the following comment on the Chapter 70/NE Ohio email list, I felt
it was also appropriate for this conversation. Those members who are on both
lists, please accept my apologies.

A similar discussion on the legality of the Arco spot and others like it is also
happening on the EAS Exchange.

Our industry and the regulators tend to work on a complaint/response basis.
Many broadcasters, who are responsible for the legality of their programming
may not evaluate commercials for this sort of thing (who's turning down money in
this economy?). However, if listeners complain by email or letter to the
broadcaster or to the FCC, the advertising crutch of using "faux alerts" would
result in a quick education up the chain to agency creative types who are likely
unfamiliar with the problem. I suspect the practice would quickly cease.

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT
Atlanta, GA
barryt at sbe.org