[SBE] Here's a shocker

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Thu Sep 23 20:53:36 EDT 2010

1/2" tape in a plastic box with a 130 degree scanner wrap. 3M etal
eventually figured how to make thinner tape (vs 1.5 mil) so Beta and VHS could use
slower speeds and a much smaller box. There must have been 40 different
reel to reel scanner varieties with 7.5 ips on most (EIAJ-1 and 1a) But
Phillips (Norelco) used 6.25 IPS. Akai (Oki?) had a 1/4" tape B&W and color
portapack system. Shibiden and Sony sold under numerous brand names, GE among
others. Panasonic and Shibiden had external color under boxes, Sony had a non
EIAJ color version VR5000 I think, then went along with the standard color
under subcarrier on later versions. (and all those 1 and 2" helicals)
Prior to Ampex Amtec Colortec was the Coletek. and the Allen mod/demods to retro
VR1000, V11000 etc. 3M Mincom DOC, and Bosh did 1" B format still videos
by shutteling the tape see-saw past the heads. Then we modified the Ampex
proc amps for external sync to "erase" the sync jitter residual, since the
"video jitter" was not visible. We would turn the Ball Brothers or Conrac
monitor color and contrast full up to adjust the R & Q to minimize banding and
the skew control to get rid of the single line vector error along with the
head switching point to lop off the entry or exit velcomp errors. TO sync up
two machines to the same frame, we put the monitors sideways in the next
room so you could see the scene change on both while adjusting the capstan
override on the "slave" and had 15 seconds to do it before hitting network with
the playback of the time zone net delay. To get frame accurate editing, we
would magic marker the back side of the tape at the tension arm to park it
in the same spot since the cue tone system seldom was accurate enough.

Regards,
Henry