[SBE] coupling receive signals through glass

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Tue Nov 9 14:04:33 EST 2010

In years past (remember 300 ohm flat ribbon line) we used to use two flat,
round plates on each side of the glass. They became single-plate
capacitors. The "kit" came with four round, flat plates about an inch in
diameter with 6-32 bolt studs and washers, and a little plastic blob that
looked like a large plastic vitamin pill with a little pointy end sticking
out that was to be cut off -- the plastic vitamin pill contained
fast-setting cement.

They worked great!!

Radio Shack, Allied Radio (remember them?), Layfette Radio (remember them?)
and a few others sold them. Perhaps with a little looking you can still
find them in the GC or Philmore or similar line.

If not, it's not hard to "make your own!"

If you're using coaxial receive cable (RG-6, RG-59 or similar) you can use a
pair of 300 ohm balanced to 50 ohm unbalanced transformers on each side of
the capacitive thru-glass coupling -- it should work fine.

Years ago I even knew one guy who used this scheme with a few watts on the 2
meter Amateur Radio band. Worked great!

Mike/

Mike Langner
Albuquerque, NM