[SBE] TV STL's

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Jan 17 13:21:01 EST 2011

I have to admit I know next to nothing about TV engineering, so I'm looking for some general guidance regarding STL's for DTV. We have a small religious UHF analog station (KGEC) that wants to go digital on the same channel they are now using for analog, CH 36. Currently, they use another analog UHF channel for their STL, however this channel has been auctioned off and they expect to lose use of it at any time.

What options do they have for an STL for DTV? They are considering leaving our site and relocating on one that offers some sort of link on an unlicensed (Wi-Fi or UNI) channel. Are they eligible for a licensed channel, or are there usable unlicensed channels they could use? How expensive is the equipment for any of this? What kind of bandwidth does DTV STL require? This is a very low-budget operation.

Any information would be helpful!

Thanks,
Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer