[SBE] Thales Ultimate Transmitter

Humphrey, Richard A rhumphrey at kmaxtv.com
Tue Jun 28 17:26:15 EDT 2011

Anyone have a Thales Ultimate solid-state ATSC transmitter? I'm working on getting ours going after it was loaned to another station. I'm concerned about the current consumption. The two power supplies for the four PA modules are drawing about 18 amps each. They are fused at 20 amps and the feed breaker is 40 amps. The fuseholders are getting very hot after just a few minutes of operation. I'm sure they would burn if left on long term.

How many amps does a working transmitter draw? Thales tells me the output should be 1250 watts. Anybody disagree with that? What should my station load Bird indicate? Am I overdriving this thing? Where else should I look? Thales has run out of ideas.