[SBE] Thales Ultimate Transmitter

Henry's dogs and cats a9xw at cs.com
Wed Jun 29 10:00:01 EDT 2011

First, check the channel range switch on the side of the modules. It is
a small rotary switch near the edge of the cards. Next, what is the
transistor currents? T1-4 are typically 12-16 amps, T5 typically 4-5
amps and T6 3 amps.
At average drive levels, you should get 400-600 watts per module. At
1250 with 4 modules, you are not getting what you should. Again, go to
the IPA screena nd check the individual modules currents. If any are
significantly low, you have lost a transistor or two or four. The
currents between the same modules on each amp should be similar,
typically not more than 2 amps different, ie 12.8, 13.5, 14.6, etc.
If they are over 16 or under 12 you likely have an issue. Check the
dummy loads for each module. Mine were onthe right side hidden behind
sheet metal., You can take each out and measure 50 ohms, (coolant not
running) We found I had 1/3 bad on a 10 kw rig after 5 years. What
is your VSWR indicate? ANy temperature alarms on the amp modules? The
PS units should be warm but not hot. Mine had 20 amp fuses and ran at
14-15 amps. Usually the PS units go with a flash bang as they burn up
and die. We also found on our 480V 3 phase system, the unit weas
unhappy at the rated input voltage of 480, dropping it to 470 made the
modules last a lot longer. Drive level is in the milliwatt range, I
am guessing you don't have a balance and phase line/rheostat on your
rig with only 4 modules. Latly, if you have an RFA 300A or better,
what is your constellation look like with correction on/off? (EQ) If
the higher levels are all bent out of shape, likely bad power modules.
Also, do a EQ setup (auto correct) because the RF feedback at the other
station may have put it out of range. ANy further questions, my rate
is $250/day.

Regars
Henry Ruhwiedel