[SBE] CALM

Thompson,Blake E blake at uakron.edu
Wed Jul 27 15:40:09 EDT 2011

Just as an FYI there are quite a few companies doing this, Linear Acoustic, Harris, Wheatstone and Orban to name a few. Most don't have the file based solutions yet but I know from a previous SBE meeting session that Linear Acoustic does most all of what Dolby does.

Blake Thompson CBNT
Director of Engineering
WZIP-FM / Z-TV www.wzip.fm
SBE Chapter 70 Program Chair

Folks,

Dolby makes has a DP600 Program Optimizer List Price of $ 26,000:
This is a device that provides a file-based workflow solution for loudness correction, audio conversion, and up-mixing. The DP600 can be used in cable, satellite, IPTV, terrestrial TV, radio, and postproduction facilities. It includes audio analysis and automated loudness normalization engine, along with the ability to encode, decode, convert, or trans-code between the following formats: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby E, PCM, MPEG-1 LII, AAC, and HE AAC v2

We use this device prior to server input to analyze and correct levels before server ingest, that way everything in the server is correct and meets CALM standards.
Richard L. Mulliner
Director of Engineering/IT WLNY TV
270 South Service Road Suite 55
Melville, New York 11747