[SBE] HP Printers vs Canon

BILLG BILLG at WMRG.COM
Fri Sep 23 21:43:54 EDT 2011

As a former HP employee during the late 70 /early 80 We started to see the MBA car wreck that was happening Profit was the driving force. They cut out the free soda, fruit, and other goodies that made us that put in a lot of overtime feel "loved" :-)
I left HP to get my MBA to better understand what was happening and never went back
I later became an HP dealer but never sold much as you could get most printers and small computers at big box stores cheaper than I could get the products from distribution. Then a couple of years ago they mandated that you had to take an online course on recycling in order to keep your authorization. Never made enough to cover the cost so I said bye bye to HP
And don't get me started on driver support or lack there of. If you loose your original disk you can't even use your old printer on 98/2000 or what ever, as they have pulled most driver for them.

I now recommend Brother for Inkjet based systems and Samsung for laser jet.Good quality, long lasting, lots of features, some quirks but livable.

What they did to the company would make Bill and Dave roll over in their grave.

Bill Gellhaus
----- Original Message -----
From: Stu Casteel
To: sbe at sbe.org
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 15:42
Subject: Re: [SBE] HP Printers vs Canon

my time at HP bridged the end of Bill & Dave through John Young (i.e. back
when it was an engineering company - marketing was "the next bench" Saki
and Sushi would be presented as "Warm white wine & cold raw fish")

at the point when HP broke $10B - 1/10th of that was OEM Cannon Laser
printers (the type where you bring the rolls of paper in on forklifts) -
the only HP parts were the plastic case and English manual -
coincidentally that was about a year or two before HP introduced 4
different "PC's" within a few months of each other

the 9826 - an engineers wet dream, color vector graphics, a scroll wheel
on the keyboard (predating the mouse) and "mainframe" power

there was a unix based lunch pail "luggable" plasma screened PC with built
in Ethernet (coax) and a mini "thinkjet" - just the thing to hack banks

the calculator division got in to the act with a full QWERTY chicklet
keyboard with a nifty mag strip read/write (took a practiced hand)

and the last one was the "touch screen" (the infamous "caterpillar
butterfly commercials) originally only available with green phosphors -
the only application initially offered was a Rolodex that you could scroll
through and would dial your phone

there was no way to transfer a single byte of data between any of them!

around this time the MBA's started infiltrating (Stanford being literally
next door) and in time (after John Young - then Lou Platt) started to take
over and "the HP way" went out the door - I had one meeting with Carly and
followed it out the door as well - loved my HP plotters and LJ1, had my
share of Compaq PC's and HP laptops but once Carly shifted the entire
corporate focus from core engineering & medical to consumer it has been
downhill ever since

The SBE Roundtable, SBE at sbe.org