[SBE] Petition filed to correct Part 74 RPU channel issues

Richard_Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 02:12:20 EDT 2011

Today the Engineers for the Integrity of Broadcast Auxiliary Services Spectrum (EIBASS) petitioned the FCC to let Part 74 Remote Pickup (RPU) users license off-the-shelf digital radios, preserve the future of analog RPU using narrowband channel splits, and save money in the bargain.

The changes proposed by EIBASS would allow BAS RPU licensees a significant cost benefit while also allowing greater operational flexibility. According to EIBASS Co-Chair Dane Ericksen, “Commercially available, off-the-shelf Part 90 digital radios could then be used for Part 74 RPU dispatch and other operations.Today, we make needed suggestions to improve the abilities of BAS licensees to better support their on-air operations, and do so with some savings in cost and frustration. We hope all broadcast industry stakeholders will support the Petition when the FCC assigns it a Rulemaking number.”

A PDF copy of the Petition can be downloaded from the EIBASS web site.

Regards,

Richard Rudman
EIBASS Co-Chair