[SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Tue Apr 3 13:19:23 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Jeremy Morris <jdmickies at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here in DC it's more of a need for AV janitors.

That's the case in most of the country. $35K is pretty representative
from what I saw last time I looked at the SBE job list, which was
probably four years ago, and where the listing actually represented an
actual traditional job opening. The last hands-in-a-transmitter job I
had paid less than $35K, but it was many years ago. I had a family
and couldn't easily move to a major market, so the economics of
broadcast engineering chased me out. Specialty electronics, like
medical applications, was more viable. Those folks start at around
$72k with no experience and they're glad to see you.

Or, I could learn to love to wax the floors and mow the lawn around
the building for less than half the money, and be told I should be
grateful for the opportunity since it wasn't clear what use it was to
have somebody available on site all the time.

However, in major markets like yours, there are still a lot of guys
making six figures. Perhaps we could call them the 1%?

Jeff