[SBE] STB Conditional Access

William Hooper wsh at wshooper.org
Fri Jun 22 00:58:04 EDT 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Jonathan Solomon wrote:

> A coworker is doing some research on CA at the STB level (not BISS /

> SA type). If anyone has knowledge of this, I'd appreciate an off list

> email.

NAGRA (http://www.nagra.com/dtv/) and NDS (http://www.nds.com/) are suppliers of conditional access systems for pay-TV STB applications, and your colleague might find their web sites of interest, though lacking specific technical information, which is usually shared only under strict non-disclosure agreements.

Many details have been disclosed in the extensive patent literature, however. I also recommend Ross Anderson's book, Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems (ISBN 0-470-06852-3); it discusses pay-TV systems briefly, with references, in Chapter 22, but the entire book is worthwhile reading.

--
William Hooper, P.E., CBTE, CBNT
http://www.wshooper.org/