[SBE] "modifying co-ax" to drain moisture

Mark Heller wgbw at lsol.net
Wed Oct 3 13:03:30 EDT 2012

Dean,
First and foremost, I'd get pressure in that line 24/7, at least three pounds above normal atmosphere.
Nothing good can come from what you described, especially with winter setting in. Nitrogen doesn't
chase out ice, through that weep hole. If your FM transmitter is lowering power, it's telling you something
is seriously out of whack. And, moisture is found in normal air, you don't need a rain event or even fog
to collect moisture in a line. Power amplifiers are just not designed to operate at high reflected SWR
conditions, over a long period of time. That seal on the top, is a $10 part. The end connector is a $650 to
$1000 part. You could be making a costly mistake, but prematurely aging your power amplifier, or if a power
tube is used, your output equipment. I wouldn't open that 'weep hole' at all. You're inviting a spider, hornet or wasp to enter your system, and just get worse. They'd get attracted by your liquid exiting. Joy dishwashing soap, in a plastic squeeze bottle, will give you a sign of where the moisture is entering...but it will require getting a tower climber to reach the top of your tower. Just my two cents. I was recently in your neighborhood, retrieving an AM transmitter from Paoli, and I stayed in Bedford, across the street from the cemetary, so you know where I was....

Mark Heller WGBW / WLWB
mheller at sbe.org