[SBE] multiviewer monitors

David Baker DBaker at addison-il.org
Tue Nov 27 13:57:37 EST 2012

Jonathan,

Ross says the resolution of the MV output follows the switcher resolution settings, so 720 x 480 for SD, etc. There is no way to change it to something else. So, in effect I guess, each source will be lower resolution on the MV display.

They say that they use more pixels beyond the "safe" area for the MV than the PV output uses so they can get more room for all the sources, so there is actually the same cropping going on with the PV output though I'm not seeing it.
Their solution is to get a monitor with undershoot/overshoot settings or a way to display every pixel. Some consumer models work well as in your experience and others don't, but generally the higher end monitors perform better at this.
You have to ask for it as a spec when you shop for the monitor.

I almost don't want to buy anything unless I see what our signal will look like through the monitor beforehand, if at all possible, with many brands performing differently.
Thanks again.

>>> Jonathan Solomon <jonstv at gmail.com> 11/26/2012 7:56 PM >>>

Dave-

If the PV out is OK (with an SD source) and the MV out is not, I think that MV might be HD. This actually makes some sense as even with SD content, and HD MV would provide a much higher resolution for each source.

Have you checked with Ross to verify the MV output works with all SD content? Something seems fishy here, but it clearly points to the MV output. It seems that the MV processor is outputting 1080, but the output is 480.

Perhaps you could try setting the output the feeds the MV to 1080?

I don't think the type of monitor matters. We're using a consumer monitor without significant problems, other than the "eco" options causing the brightness to adjust.

Sent from my iPad