[SBE] Windows 7 networking headache

Yengst, Curt cyengst at star991.com
Mon Dec 8 12:14:53 EST 2014

I've got one machine on my studio's network that can't seem to play well
with others as far as networking is concerned.  We use Audio Vault Flex as
our automation system, and at first I thought the problem was because I had
neglected to "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" on that machine, as is required
by Flex.

Well, that's enabled, and I still can't get it to behave.

Basically, this one PC on the network (our traffic coordinator) will not
access one of our on-air servers.  When you open the Network window, it
sees it there, but when you click on it, you get the "You don't have access
to that.  Contact your network administrator..." message.  Network
administrator?  That would be ME!

Funny thing is, this PC has a couple network drive maps that point to the
same server, and they work just fine.

Then, sometimes you'll open the Network window, and only about half the
computers on the network will appear.

All computers are on the same switch, the same workgroup, and have all
sharing of drives enabled.

I posted some of this tale of woe on the AV email list, but I thought,
since it's a Windows issue, I'd put it out to the engineering community at
large.

Thanks in advance.

*Curt Yengst*

Engineer

732-469-0991 x3127

Also heard on Long Island at 101.5 ● 94.9 ● 96.9 ● 104.5 ● 96.5
Ministries of Pillar of Fire